Image: Freeform

A Fifth season of The Fosters began airing on July 11, 2017

S5 Started July 11, 2017

Every now and again, a new show comes along and reflects the changes being made in society. They may seem controversial at first, but they can also be considered trailblazers and trend-setters. Freeform champions diversity with its hit drama The Fosters executive produced by Jennifer Lopez.

The story follows the Foster family, a cop and a school administrator, raising a multi-ethnic household that includes one biological and four adopted children. The couple faces unique challenges as they are lesbians. Debuting in 2013, the progressive series has been pushing the envelope ever since. While quietly hiding under the radar, this hidden gem is worth the discovery.

Winner of two GLAAD Media Awards, @Fosters not only garners a lot of critical acclaim, it also represents an often ignored community. There aren’t that many dramas headlined by a gay or lesbian family with children. Often enough, the LGBT minority is usually reflected in a co-starring role or comedic relief. With Freeform’s drama, the emphasis is on ‘family’. Plain and simple.

@Fosters also receives a lot of acclaim from its audience, receiving good ratings for the specialty channel, as well as winning a Teen Choice Award for Breakout Drama and earning a nomination for Best Drama every season since. The stars were also nominated for Best Male and Best Female performances.

Talking about the show’s conception, creator Bradley Bredeweg said, “We realized that there was a kind of vacuum when it came to stories about women raising families. So we set off in that direction. Many of our own friends are moms raising biological kids. Some of them have fostered and adopted. Suddenly, we realized that we had a story here that hadn’t been told on television before.”

By focusing on a position of authority, the series automatically makes its mark by shining the spotlight on your typical cop family. While a lot of shows demonstrate what the life of police is like, they don’t often highlight a female officer, let alone a lesbian one. Stef Foster (Teri Polo) is married to Lena Adams (Sherri Saum), who is a vice principal. Together they raise a rather large family, consisting of Stef’s biological son, adopted twins and two foster children who they saved from an abusive situation.

The show is set in a San Diego suburb, but also spends a lot of time at the Community Charter School where Lena works and the kids attend classes. Stef’s partner on the beat is also her ex-husband and father of her child. The series shows how the dynamics shift in the complex relationships in the family. Since most of the children are in their teenage years, the couple have a lot raging hormones and confusing emotions to deal with.

For some viewers, it will quickly be apparent that a LGBT couple faces the exact same troubles they do. Hopefully, a show like #Fosters helps the audience at home get a little closer to a community they may not have any experience with. The connection formed as viewers overcome the obstacles alongside the characters is invaluable. As with any good drama, the more the audience spends time with them, the more they feel their struggle and relate their own lives to those on screen. There are also some unique hurdles to clear, like Stef’s son falling for his foster sister.

While there are some easy comparisons to make to the mainstream hit Modern Family, that award winning series is more focused on the comedy and the morals aren’t as valued as they are with Freeform’s #Fosters. A better comparison would be a less cheesy, less wholesome version of the preachy hit 7th Heaven. The drama here is a bit more hard hitting with a focus on realism. A family show at its core, a positive message is the underlying focus.

When it comes to family dramas, there are slim pickings. The award winning The Fosters is smart enough for adults, even though it’s aimed at the young adult audience. The series has an impressive overall 8.1 rating at IMDB and is certified ‘Fresh’ with 91% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The fourth season premiered this past summer. With such a positive reception, and the family still evolving as they deal with tough choices, expect the Freeform drama to return for another season.

Who is your favorite Foster? What was your favorite episode of The Fosters? What kind of LGBT conflict would you like to see represented next?

Subscribe to stay tuned about a season renewal or cancellation. You will receive an automatic email when news is announced.

@FreeformTV just dropped premiere date for @TheFostersTV!

UPDATED January 12, 2017

19 Comments on "The Fosters"

Kimberly Rushing
Kimberly Rushing

Bc o like the movie

Charisma
Charisma

I need to know what happens to Jesus, the house, Callie’s case, Brandon’s fate, what’s gonna happen to Mariana and Jude! Mama’s 🙁 Nooooooo we need to grow old with the Foster’s!!!!! I want to see more! I even got my fiancé hooked and I know so many other FostFans!!!!!!! You can’t stop yet we need a season five and more… I need to at least see what colleges Callie, Jesus, Mariana and if Brandon can even go to college…. Too many questions. We need to keep up with the Foster’s!! ??

Vanvander
Vanvander

So true we need more what happens to Mick and may and Jesus and Mariana and Callie and Connor and Jude and the rest of the cast we want to know I just finished season four on Netflix what happens next #FostersForLife

Vanvander
Vanvander

Nick*

Vanvander
Vanvander

Mat*

Sarah
Sarah

I agree!!! Way to much unfinished business to end it for good!!!! Aaaaggghhhh I must know what happens!!!

Layne Hazel
Layne Hazel

I think this is one of the best shows on. I certainly hope they will bring back this show for another season (or two). I need to know what happens to Jose. What about Callie? She is with a possible murderer. Will her foster brother get a new trial? I can’t wait for this show to come back on.

Layne Hazel
Layne Hazel

I meant Jesus, not Jose.

Dalton
Dalton

Being a man I didnt think that this show was gonna be any good but it was and saprsingly I loved it I had my moments where I cryed parts of the fosters show had that impact on not just me but probly lots of people I hope to god season 5 comes out very soon I need to know what happens to Jesus after he got punched in the head for protecting his lil sister release season 5 asap

Jeannie
Jeannie

Omg please start season 5 soon

Suzi Ogulnick
Suzi Ogulnick

My girlfriend and her husband and I are mom’s of 20- something wonderful adult children.
We are heterosexual, and middle class.
We LOVE the FOSTERS !!! We want this show forever!!
Please bring us more, it is wonderful, heartfelt and realistic.
No favorite’s here, everyone is great- really great.

Allice
Allice

Honestly I will be dissapointed If you guys stop we have too many questions that are unanswered

Marilyn
Marilyn

I really want there to be a season 5 my favorite character’s are Callie , Mariana and Jude . Fostures is the best❤❤❤………!!!!!!!!

Marilyn
Marilyn

Never mind I like all of you guys you are amazing …..

Dena
Dena

I really enjoy the show

lisa
lisa

my favorites are.stef and lena.mariana character is funny

Galadriel

I just got done with the last episode, and i need to know whats happening,will Jesus be okay, will Nick go back to the hospitable, or jail, will Callie ( i know it not right but meh) be okay, or killed. Will my Callie and AJ ship live, SO MEANY QUESTIONS!!!!!

Jenni
Jenni

I love the fosters me and my husband can’t wait to get up every morning to watch fosters is so entertaining and I really can’t wait for the season 5 I hope really soon

C. White
C. White

One of the best drama shows I have watched!!!…and to think that season 5 may not happen?!?!? – so wrong!!!
Please don’t disappoint and leave us hanging. This show is a gem and one of a kind!!!