Image: Hulu

No decision has been made as yet regarding the further production of East Los High Season 5

Release Date of #ELH S5: To be announced

In 1950, Amos N’ Andy proved a turning point for blacks in society as it featured the first ever all black cast on a US-televised TV series. In the same fashion, East Los High is Hulu’s first and only all-Latino cast TV show.

The show follows a group of young people in their final year of high school in eastern Los Angeles. The show is partly aimed at public health education, as the producers of the series, which include Wise Entertainment, Population Media Center and Into Action Films, worked closely with public health organizations. This was in order to add an educational element to the show so that young Latinos could make healthier life choices and climb the social ladder more effectively. They are currently overrepresented in prisons and low-paid work.

The show’s fourth season was released in early July, which caps off a very successful run the show is currently on. Debuting in 2013, the series has seen one season a year released by Hulu, as part of an exclusive deal for the video streaming site. So, another straight-to-stream series that has seen strong success. The move to streaming rather than airing on TV continues at full pace.

And it has been well-received by fans and critics alike. As mentioned before, the show has a significant educational element as well as simple entertainment for which it has been praised. It also boasts a strong 7.4 rating on IMDB which is good for a show aimed at teenagers.

Fans have appreciated the show for its brutal honesty and fearlessness when it comes to the topics tackled. Issues faced by the young protagonists include teen pregnancy, rape, abortion, drugs, cancer, homelessness and street and domestic violence. We said it was honest.

And in the latest season, there were themes of immigration and racism, in the light of the American presidential debate which has at times focused increasingly on immigration and racial politics. The show’s executive producer said the decision to enter politics was an easy one once they were making the fourth season in the current political climate. Up until then issues had been just as important but more personal and not so political. The aim was to show the personal effects of a campaign of hate speech and fear mongering.

Bringing a massive subject to a TV screen and portraying its ripple effects down to a persons living rooms is a big ask, but the show does it very well. And the effect this has on viewers is something that the show’s producers are keen to observe. Wise Entertainment partnered with research farms to track the effect of the storyline on viewing audiences.

There hasn’t been an official announcement on a fifth season yet, but there are many reasons to be hopeful. The show is still under the radar, so to speak, and the show’s EP has said the hopes for a very long life for #ELH. With four seasons on the trot there is no reason to think Hulu and Wise Entertainment will stop now.

It’s a truly unique approach to television, seeing the viewer as more than just a paying customer but as an important member of society, that could do with support through pedagogical entertainment. This is also why it is one to

look out for in the future. We all know how kids TV shows have life lessons as part of the content, but a drama aimed at a specific demographic and social and cultural environment is interesting to say the least.

Which social issues do you think #EastLosHigh delved into the most effectively and professionally?

Subscribe to our website for updates on the show’s renewal status, so that you can be the first to know about season 5.

54 Comments on "East Los High"

Gloria

I just watched all 4 seasons. Im praying season five will start pretty soon. Please i want to know what happens with camilla and jesus. I pretty much want to know about all the characters. Will jacob live or die? Come on dont leave us hanging. We want closure.

veronica franco
veronica franco

I know so do i it left us on a cliff hanger cant wait i hope camilla didn’t die and jacob to

Sandra Ardry
Sandra Ardry

I agree I just watched all seasons I want to know how Jacob is ,Don’t leave us hanging!!!

Lele
Lele

Can Y’all Please Come Out With Season 5 Please And Don’t Kill Camilla Let Her Survive

Regina Vega
Regina Vega

Can’t wait until season 5. Hopefully Jacob will b okay. Sad to see Camilla leave the show. Congrats to Camilla for moving on to bigger and better things. What will happen with Jesus? Please hurt and release season5

Starkest Baity
Starkest Baity

My Jacob.. Please don’t die!!

Amber
Amber

Hurry up season 5

Lisa Sauceda
Lisa Sauceda

Season 5 please!!!!!!

Bella
Bella

Just watched all 4 seasons. I love this show!! Give me more!!!

alejandro
alejandro

wow me and my wife loved watching the show, loved it so much that while we was on vacation visiting familia in LA we decided to stop by tio pepes to have lunch . but sadly to say i am so disappointed with not only the service but with the food. me and my wife was the only costumers that day and it took me over 45 min to get my drink ,it was so hot and when the food came out lets just say after one bite we had to just get up and leave . my wife got so sick from her fish fried con butter . and the price was way to much for what i thought it should of been . but other than that i agree with ever one els. i cant wait for season 5 to come out . i want to know what happend to jacob .

Shanta
Shanta

I absolutely love this show I really hope you guys give us a season 5 I really don’t wanna be left hanging wondering i wanna see what happens with Gina and Eddie and I also wanna know what’s gonna happen with Jacob

jazelle
jazelle

WE NEED A SEASON 5. I’ve watched many shows more than I’ve ever thought and me, my family and boyfriend ARE IN LOVE with this show. It can’t end like this.. GIVE THE FANS WHAT THEY WANT.

sasha
sasha

We NEED A SEASON 5. PLS PLS HURRRAAYYY

Chris
Chris

Favorite show of all time ??

Maggie
Maggie

It can’t end like this i swear I hope Jacob lives. ? but whatever its all show business . it only makes the show more shocking man I never expected camila to die. orrrr maybe she isn’t dead? Maybe she is just unconsciously in a coma BUM BUM BUM well just have to wait and see ill keep praying for a season 5 to come on

Brumi Valdes
Brumi Valdes

Best show ever this is the only show that depicts our mexican -american heratige. There’s no show or hasn’t been a show like this. Please continue making seasons best show ever!!!! ?

Aliźe
Aliźe

PLEASE CONTINUE THE SHOW! You guys can’t leave us wondering like that! lol One of the best shows I’ve watched, love everything about it!

FAN
FAN

I REALLY LIKE THIS TV SHOW. I WATCHED ALL 4 SEASONS TWICE. I REALLY WANT TO KNOW WHATS GONNA HAPEEN TO JACOB, EDDIE, CAMILA, JESUS AND GINA. SO PLEASE GIVE US SEASON 5 ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amanda
Amanda

PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER SEASON I LOVE THIS SHOW!!

Eva
Eva

I’ve been telling everyone about this show!!!! It’s so addicting and well written cast is awesomely believable. I keep watching it over I don’t want it to end it’s so completely enjoyable with music, story line, individual cast and producing. Please continue with season 5 continue being the voice for the masses of Latinos that need a voice !!!! Thank you for all your hard work.

Aleisha
Aleisha

Come on SEASON5!!! We really need it i already watched 1thru4 i went to watch more please come on i’ve been praying come on pretty please make it very cool i really love ceci its cool because she had her baby loveed her baby and her soon to be husband was beating her and when he said something about her daughter she stood up for her like a good mom and all the other girls had abortions

Mary Ledesma
Mary Ledesma

I watched all 4 seasons Camilla, needs to live, she’s a die heart. All the messages in each episode are so awesome. Please bring season 5 .

Jahfgb
Jahfgb

It’s die hard not heart smh

Yhane
Yhane

What !!!! There has to be a season 5 , you guys can’t LEAVE me HANGING !!!

Yhanet
Yhanet

Come on now , there has to be a season five !!!!!

Jacqulyn
Jacqulyn

Please release season 5

katy
katy

Season 5 better not be in a debate ! It better be ! You can’t do this to me HULU !

Amber
Amber

I would really love for Season 5 to come back please, Season 4 left with so many questions unanswered, what happened to Camila and what about Jacob fatal accident please bring it back there are so many viewers for the show just look at the Facebook page 🙂

C.J.

Please continue on with East los high I loss so may of my favorite show i don’t want to loss this one too

Brea
Brea

I hope to see season five. I don’t wanna be left hanging I gotta know if Jacob survives, just like I hope Camilla does. I really liked her and Jesus. I don’t wanna see that go away

Garcia
Garcia

I’m going crazy wanting to know what happened to Jacob and Camilla need the new season asap

Vero

With all that is against illegal immigrants and Mexican Americans, specially this presidential election: this show brings hope. East Los is doing so much to draw attention to the more personal side of deportation and anti Mexican hate crimes. This show has so much to offer and room to grow. I love the characters and the way they shed light on current issues. Praying for a fifth season 🙌🏽

Flor
Flor

I just watched all the 4 seasons with my husband and my 4 kids they loved it, so I looked up to find out when is the next seasons is coming up January 15 2017 I can’t wait what happen to Jacob and Camela is getting good.

Eve
Eve

Please come out with a season!!! I have to find out what happens with Camilla. Please don’t let her die

Mary Soden
Mary Soden

We need MANY more seasons!

Angel01
Angel01

I will hate this show if they don’t come out with season 5, how can you leave your fans in dying need to see or know what happens. If we are gonna be loyal to the show, the show needs to be loyal to us!!!

Tiffiny Reynoso
Tiffiny Reynoso

I love this show

Rachel
Rachel

Please bring it back for season 5

PatriciaErkerd
PatriciaErkerd

I am hoping that the show comes back don’t leave the fans hanging.

Alejandra!
Alejandra!

This is the best show I have watched!! And I binged the first 4 season in what I wanna say was like a week or two, completely obsessed with this show and NEED season five to come out camila tequila has to live and Jacob too!! I hope ceci is gonna b okay, and that Diego doesn’t try to mess with her. So much happened on season 4 episode 12 that we all NEED TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NEXT!

Chaz
Chaz

Me and my household are waiting for East Los High season 5! Please hurry up and bring it back Hulu.

Chaz
Chaz

We binge watched the first 4 seasons. And got mad if someone watched before eachother. Me my spouse and our teens looove the show. And we’re not even Hispanic. BRING BACK SEASIN 5!!

India Russell
India Russell

I love the show every since I saw the first season I was hooked please bring out season 5

Elena
Elena
1 month 22 days ago

I’m hoping for season 5 and many more to come to come I love east Los high

Jess
Jess

Please let Camilla Live! Is Jose really free? And Jacob omg Please keep him alive! BRING SEASON 5 BACK!!!!

Alicia
Alicia

We need a season 5…

Alicia
Alicia

We need a season 5…

Alicia
Alicia

We need a season 5…

Alicia
Alicia

We need a season 5…

Veronica franco
Veronica franco

Cant wait for season 5 love east los high it my favorite show of all times i literally binge watch it season 5 please come soon

Toni
Toni

I watched this show with my girl n we fell in love with it. We hope that season 5 comes out soon.

Natasha
Natasha

Omg I just binged watched all 4 seasons and I definitely can’t wait for season 5!!!! Come on please at least provide a proper ending not in suspense.

Veronica
Veronica

Come on with season 5. It has been 2 years now

Cole Moon
Cole Moon

I want season five its a good show ive watched all of them